Journey of Cork
A Cork Concepts floor is steeped in tradition and craftsmanship. From the ancient forests of the Mediterranean, Cork Concepts brings you a floor as innovative in design as it is practical in comfort and warmth.
Employing a traditional method which dates back centuries, the cork farmer strips the outer bark from the cork tree. Like giant cinnamon curls, the sections of cork rest in the forest before being loaded onto an old truck and taken to the mill. After pressing and squaring, it rests for a further five months before being carved into tiles.
Once on New Zealand shores, the cork is transformed to suit our luxury designer market. Although the natural tiles are still popular, Cork Concepts has expanded to include shimmering metallics and an unlimited range of colours.
For over forty years Cork Concepts has refined the craft of cork manufacturing. Dedicated to our customer’s comfort and health, Cork Concepts has perfected a pre-finished 1 day system to ensure minimal disruption to your daily life
- Cork is a Natural flooring choice.
- Cork flooring is warm, soft and insulates your home.
- Cork flooring is Eco-friendly, non toxic and ideal for allergy sufferers.
- Cork flooring is extremely durable.
- Cork flooring can be laid in only one day.
- With Cork flooring most dropped objects bounce.
- Cork is easy to clean and is ideal for wet areas.
- Custom and metallic colours are available.
- Cork is a natural soundproofing material. It reduces sound in commercial areas or footsteps in apartment style living.
Eco Benefits of Cork
By choosing cork you gain a healthy living environment, support sustainable livelihoods and promote protection of endangered ecosystems.
Cork floor tiles are the ultimate in ‘upcycling’. Made from the cork that’s left over from the more lucrative production of wine bottle corks, cork floor tiles are essentially a waste product, made good. They’re also from a completely renewable resource. Like shearing a sheep, bark is stripped from the cork oak tree, leaving the tree standing.
Cork Concepts flooring is unique in providing a natural flooring product with low VOC’s.
At Cork Concepts we use high quality water -based polyurethane rather than solvent-based varnish. As well as being a designer product, cork is a first-rate natural insulation material with an ‘R Factor’ of 2.6. All of this combines to provide peace of mind to families that want a healthy home.
“Cork comes from ancient Mediterranean forests. It is a totally natural, renewable and recyclable product. Cork harvesting is one of the most environment-friendly processes in the world. Cork forests support one of the highest levels of biodiversity in the planet, including the critically endangered Iberian lynx, the Iberian imperial eagle, the Barbary deer, many species of rare birds as well as many fungi, ferns and other plants. They also play a key role in maintaining watersheds, preventing erosion and keeping soils healthy”.
“They are a great example of balanced conservation and economic development. Their preservation is vital for the well-being of the Mediterranean region. More than 100,000 people in the seven Mediterranean-region countries depend directly or indirectly on cork for their livelihoods”. (See www.panda.org for more WWF information.
Dimensions: 300 x 300 x 6mm, 450 x 450 x 6mm, 600 x 300 x 6mm and 900 x 150 x 5mm planks
Colours: 12 colours in the range including traditional naturals. Custom colours and metallic’s available.
Density: High density 500 + kg/m3
Thermal Conductivity: 0.0425W / (m.K) DIN 52612
Residual Indentation: <0.2mm NP EN 433
Heat Dissapation: W1 = 29 kj/m2 DIN 52614, W10= 153 K] / m2
Fire Rating: (ASTM E – 648) Class 11 B2 DIN4102 BS476
Smoke Density: (ASTM E – 662) Flaming 103 Non Flaming 109
Slip Resistance: ASTM C – 1028) Dry. 7048 Wet. 7293
Health and Saftey: Non allergenic, eco friendly, non toxic with waterbourne finish, biodegradable
Acoustic Properties: Ideal for acoustic insulation and impact noise resistence. Using test guideline ASTM E 989 result is FIIC 62. Cork underlay available for soundproofing all types of floors. Sound Impact Resistance 14db DIN 52210. Acoustic Absorbtion Co-Efficient 18db NP669/74.
Finishes: Waterbased Urethane top coat. Coverage 7-10m2 per litre. Not completely odourless. Non toxic, gloss or low sheen.
Simulated movement of furniture: No change in appearance NP EN 424
Effect of Chair Castor: No delamination will occur NP EN 425
Laying: Glued to subfloor which must be dry, smooth and even.
For further instruction and laying instructions, CLICK HERE.
25 Year Limited Residential & 5 Year Limited Commercial Warranty
Cork Concepts Floating Floor is warranted to be free from manufacturing defects.
This warranty is only valid for manufacturing defects. Cork Concepts Wear Warranty does not cover the following:
1. Problems caused by moisture, alkaline substances, hydrostatic pressure, expansion and contraction between planks when humidity levels above or below those recommended.
2. Damage due to scratches, gauges, scuffs, punctures, cuts, indentations, burn accidents, lack of proper furniture rests or any intentional misuse of the product.
3. Loss of finish gloss over time is consistent with normal wear and is not a product flaw.
4. It is normal and expected for there to be colour variations due to use of natural components, exposure to UV light or sunlight and ageing of the material. Therefore, colour inconsistency between samples, replacement product, or illustrations and actual product is not a manufacturing flaw.
5. Non compliance with installation instructions and maintenance guidelines as recommended by Cork Concepts, voids the manufacturer’s warranty.
6. Cracking, warping, soiling, fading, improper maintenance or abuse caused by items such as rollers skates, golf shoes or pets.
7. Exposure to UV light and sun light will cause colour variation to natural cork products. This is normal and is not a manufacturing flaw. Area rugs and large furniture will block light exposure and cause uneven coloration. To minimize this, furnishing and floor coverings should be moved periodically.
8. The installer should not apply pieces that are doubtful as to appearance or dimension. Cork Concepts will not cover the cost of labour for repair.
9. Cork floor covering installed in inappropriate areas is excluded from this warranty.